Thursday, June 12

Details


Chloe has a thing for details. You've seen the toy-hoarding pictures and how she used to always have tiny things in her hands wherever she went. She notices little things. Toe fuzzies, pill bugs, ants, the slightest sadness in the sound of someone's voice. She is perceptive in a way I didn't think was possible for such a young girl.

She's been reciting song lyrics and lines from books lately.

Corduroy and Pocket for Corduroy are now in her favorite book rotation along with her longtime faves Jamberry, Goodnight Moon and Mother Goose Rhymes. I find it interesting since they are longer storybooks with paper pages, but she LOVES them.

If you've read Goodnight Moon you know there is a tiny mouse in each colored picture. She finds it on every page -- unprompted. I know kids notice stuff we grown-ups are too busy to notice, but I guess it surprises me that she can focus on these little details the way she does.

* * * * *

Here are a few of her renditions of the nursery rhymes (while they are on my mind!)

The real way:
"Mary, Mary quite contrary
How does your garden grow?
With silver bells and cockle shells
And pretty maids all in a row"

Here's her version:
"Ma-wy, Ma-wy ah-twawy
ah gah-den gwow?
Sivver bells, cokko sells
Peetty maids ah woe."

Another good one is:
"Yankee Doodle came to town
Riding on a pony
Stuck a feather in his cap
And called it macaroni"

And her rendition:
"Wankee Doodoo came ah town
Widing ah pony
Duck a feddah in a cap
Ah called a muck-a-woe-neeee!"

My current favorite word that she says it "toy-keys" for turquoise. There aren't many of those unique-to-her kind of words left. She even says blanket the right way now (it used to be "buh-teet" for so long). Actually it's blankie now... and bugs are buggies... no idea where that started but it's cute. The baby talk is fading as she gets closer to two!!

I like remembering all these details so that I can look back over them in a few months and see how much growth has taken place. It's simply amazing!

Posted by Bree

2 comments:

Chris said...

Wankee Doodoo...lol

Leslie said...

Absolutely too adorable! I must see video of these nursery rhymes if you can get her to perform on command! I love little kid voices! Also, I'm amazed that she can remember that many words in a row! Your girl has some skills :) The longest string of words that Michael has put together thus far is "sinky sinky won toy" (Slinky, Slinky, Oh what a wonderful toy!). Chloe' recall is dazzling! Isn't it fun how each child has their own unique talents?