Right here in his yard, covered in dirt, with his family...
because we are "home-schooling" him.
There is no curriculum, no time in the day set aside for lessons... he actually doesn't even realize he's doing school. We have a basic list of attainments we have established to guide him through, but our mindset is very relaxed and natural. He has truly been learning and seeking knowledge since his birth so we are just continuing on.
Anyway, I hung a handwriting alphabet chart next to his seat at the kitchen table a few weeks ago. I am not teaching him handwriting. I don't see any need for that yet. I just put it there for him to notice. And he did. And he stares at it and occasionally asks me questions about parts of it. And traces the letters with his fingers. And spells things by pointing to the letters as he's eating.
He's been able to "write" his name and a few small words since he was three, just by copying and figuring it out, and now his interest has grown in it. And all about the house I am finding his writing... lots of it... with the addition of lowercase letters. Here are two:
Dog's face and the writing: Evan ma{6}de in Erie Yinko the dog
I know this isn't some huge feat for an average six year old/kindergartner, but the fact that no one taught him this stuff is truly beautiful to me. This is real learning because it is real life.
And I also know that some of you may not agree with home-schooling or anything I'm saying. And that is fine :-)
Posted by Bree
4 comments:
i love that you're doing homeschool. evan is so smart..sometimes i swear he's smarter than me. i miss you guys so much.
i emailed you about a half a week ago..i haven't heard anything back..maybe you don't check your email often!
but i just wanted to say hi and i miss you guys tons!
Not only do I AGREE with your home-schooling approach, I highly recommend it to everyone who is seeking to do things God's Way in the Earth!
I've been thinking more and more that I should agree to help out with music -- do you have the piano books we would need to start?
xox
chrissy: I finally emailed you :-)
mom: I have them, but not the green pre-A book. I'll have to buy it.
I love how you are homeschooling. I've just started my five year old with kindergarten. She loves the sitting and structure so we do that. (about an hour and a half a day)
A structured style of learning is one that I've always excelled in so it's not surprising to me that my kids would like it too, but I've often lamented that the public school system only caters to one style of student. The structured student.
My husband is smart but has always believed he was dumb because he did poorly in school. I'm really pleased to see someone thinking outside of the box and that your son is excelling like he is in that environment.
Oh goodness, I've rambled a good bit. Sorry.
Post a Comment