Crazy.
Whiny.
Difficult.

It's been about two months of weaning her from nursing and she hasn't liked it one bit. We have been nursing once in the morning if I am absolutely unable to distract her from it, and that's it. She has, at times, gone four days without any but that's her max and we're right back where we started. So here we are at six days.
She has been "rejecting" me over the course of these months in so many ways. I know it's been so very hard for her to try to relate to me in any way other than nursing, and this week especially, she has been upset with the world, emotionally drained and physically exhausted.
Todd has been amazing in the mornings -- trying to step in to help her learn to calm herself or accept cuddling in place of nursing, back scratches, book time... He has tried so many things. (Without him distracting and encouraging both of us, I think even Evan might still be nursing!! There needs to be a mediator in the weaning process and Todd is so wonderful at it!)

Last night, after a long day of no nap and the constant whining and crying sound we have gotten used to as background noise, we decided to take a night walk. It was just about 50 degrees out and with jackets over jammies, blankets for bundling, and books -- just perfect.


We were back inside for bedtime, when she asked to "nurse each other" (how cute is that?), and I said, "not now, in the morning" fully expecting the usual meltdown, but she didn't cry. She just smiled and went off to her bed with Todd. I started to wonder if we might finally be moving into the next chapter of life with her. I mean, for real this time. Something seemed different.
So today, it wasn't a great morning. She asked to nurse three times before lunch was even served. She kicked me and yelled at me a lot, but then also let me hold her too. She let Todd (who was off work today) cuddle her a lot and didn't seem quite so weepy as she's been.
This afternoon, without any crying beforehand (or a request to nurse), she is napping. So I'm really wondering.... She is so completely unpredictable, as you very well know, I'm hoping this is not just a fake-out ;-) But I think we are both finally ready to move on -- here's hoping.
Posted by Bree
2 comments:
Hang in there Bree...my daughter went through the same thing with 3 kids, one of them nursed til just over 3...we thought he might be coming home from kindergarten to nurse :-) Bree you are a wonderful mom..I read your blog daily and am totally impressed with your mothering skills...Todd you're pretty awesome too...love to all
Oh Bree, I'm sorry you're both struggling with this. I remember weaning Michael, and it is hard to let go of that special time, even if you're absolutely ready to do it :) And the no napping? Eek! I can completely envision the whinyness that would inevitably result from that. Just hang in there, as I know you are! Todd is a wonderful father, stepping in to help Chloe with this transition! Paul had to do the same for Michael when I weaned him, and I think it was special for Paul to know that he could now provide something that I couldn't. I think that was the first time Michael looked to Paul for something that Mommy just could not help him through. I'll be thinking of you guys! Hopefully she's napping right now :)
Post a Comment