Wednesday, February 4

The Latest

What's new with these two???
They are learning to get along, day by day, we are working on cooperation and kindness and communication. There are still times throughout the day where we still hear:

I had that first.
No you didn't.
I did!
You didn't!
I did!!!
You didn't!!!!
I DID!!!!
YOU DIDN'T!!!!!!!
............and on it goes..........

From these little angels??? It's hard to believe, right??
Well, at least with some guidance from us, they work it out and hug each other and say "I love you" and go right back to playing sweetly.

They love to sit side by side and read. Out loud. To themselves. Loudly. At the same time. It's like a little (very loud) chorus :-) Sometimes Evan will ask Chloe to listen as he reads a story to her. That's my favorite, to catch them snuggling close like that.

This Henry and the Elephant book from Aunt Brook gets so much love everyday. We got the library's copy too so they could each have one :-)

Chloe sobbed and pounted yesterday when I mentioned that her favorite collection of Thomas the Tank Engine books would be going back to the library soon. She really loves that little blue train.

They like to race each other in stuff like toothbrushing or putting on hats and mittens. Evan always wins, but sometimes he is sweet enough to pretend to lose just so he can celebrate his sister :-)
They play trains together for hours -- I get to sit and listen to their imaginations at work as I am reading or sitting beside them. They learn so much from each other as they pretend something new each time.

Chloe hasn't nursed for four days in a row since I told her the milk was almost gone. (Yes, I'm sure you all thought this was a done deal when I mentioned the four days in a row thing months ago. She wasn't as ready as I thought, but she is ready now. We are doing this!) I knew when she was ready to be done, it wouldn't be a struggle, just like potty-training or moving from a crib to a bed.... It will be joyful and exciting and full of anticipation!! We are content to follow her lead, and more importantly, so is she :-)

Evan has been deeply pondering some of the stories in his favorite book collection -- A Treasury of Animals by James Herriott -- so much so that he has started play-acting the stories. The latest one that really gripped his attention was about a dog that gets hit by a car and restored to health by a kind vet. He likes to play "Market-square Dog" with me every day now. It's exhausting, really, to pretend it over and over again. He's the dog and I'm about four characters in the story, so maybe it's just tiring to me. But, man, it's worth it because it is so precious to see him growing in this way.
All who know him understand you can't push him into anything. He has to be ready for it, then he dives in heart and soul. So, here we go on another learning adventure with him!!

Posted by Bree

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thomas, Thomas, Thomas... It's alot of whatever they do - videos, toys and especially books - It's a good thing we have everything we need (hint-hint: don't buy them anything). It's quite an adventure!!!
=)

Anonymous said...

Just yesterday...or was it today....they all kind of blur together, the girls were reading seperately next to each other, out loud. I smiled as I listened to them and wondered how in the world they could focus on their stories with the other one reading full tilt right in their ear! They don't even think a thing about it!

Anonymous said...

That new Evan face is totally an Uncle Chris & Aunt Bryce "bunny" face!! I just know that's where he picked it up from! Ask him; I'll bet he'll say it's so! xox

Chris said...

@ xox

I do say, quite similar in features!