
The nights were freezing and the days were windy and cold, but they had a memorable experience camping out so far from home! Todd said Evan was such a trooper :-) They traveled down with our friend Jason and his little girl Anna.
After hours and hours of driving and getting caught up in construction on Friday they finally arrived after dark and had to set up camp with flashlights in their mouths!
In the morning on Saturday, the kids warmed up in the truck, and soon they were off-roading on trails all day.

Look at that view!!

All the trails had different difficulty levels so they took turns doing what their Jeeps were able and waited while others navigated hard spots. Todd considers his Jeep to be in the stock category with a few upgrades, but most of the other Jeeps in the group (I think there were 8 of them) were really built, with gigantor tires and monstrously tough axles and breakage protection.
While the "big guys" did the harder trails Evan and Anna were able to get out and explore on foot. They spent 9 hours bumping over trails!! Todd was able to push his Jeep to its limits, but towards the end of the day smoke was pouring from the clutch. :-(

Sunday morning they decided not to take the chance with off-roading since the clutch was in such bad shape. Instead they had a nice (although really cold) time with the kids outside climbing all the rocks the Jeeps had climbed the day before. Todd described Evan as a mountain goat the way he climbed everything he could find.

Then, they packed up and drove the long trip back home.
***************
Now, I love how as Evan is playing "mud pit," he has so many new real life stories to act out: "Mom, this is how Mark went slamming on the rocks and bent his pipe.... This is what happened when Jerry tipped over... These rocks are like mountains, but my Jeep has huge tires like Chris' Cherokee so I can make it! Watch!"(He was in love with a white Cherokee there, which Todd told said had 39"tires -- yes, I typed that correctly.)
Well, that's my take on it all. There are a lot of pictures that could be shared, but I figure those who are really interested can just go here for more HUGE jeep action :-)
Todd is already planning a trip back in the spring :-)

Posted by Bree
5 comments:
Wow, guys! Welcome home!! Evan, I still need you to finish your explanation of "shallow rims" vs. "deep rims." You sure do know alot about cars and trucks! xox
OMG! I can hear Tim Allen doing his famous "man grunt"! So, how's the clutch now? I was concerned that it was smoking during off-roading but he drove it home!! Very cool, Todd!
Uncle Kevin --
No worries; they put the Jeep on the trailer and hauled it home with the truck. With the clutch burned up it was not in any condition to drive. It is sitting in the driveway waiting to be fixed on Todd's next day off ;-)
that's sooo cool! (not the clutch part)
I want to go! How awesome! Too bad I'm not such a great driver. Maybe we can mail Michael up to you guys to join in the fun one of these years :) hee hee
Post a Comment