She is the marathon runner of time-outs.She will fight and scream and run away and kick and cry and spit on the floor and say she has to pee and crawl around and kick the walls and fight and fight....anything but sit where I put her.
We do the "supernanny" technique. Sit her down, tell her why she needs a time-out (in this episode it was shoving Evan's train off the track because she was seriously ticked off at him), say "Sit here, I'll be back in two minutes" and walk away.
This worked with Evan. He tried to fight a handful of times, but usually gave up and sat quite easily.
This does not work with Chloe.
We've been doing the exact same routine since she was two and you would think that nine months of the same thing would make her realize she is not going to win.
Nope.
A typical time-out with Chloe lasts 25 minutes.
Sit her down, walk away, chase her, sit her back down, walk away, chase her... take deep breaths... repeat.... We don't talk to her or make eye contact and we stay as calm as possible. By the end I am utterly drained and exhausted and so is she.
Today's marathon lasted 45 minutes, including several trips to the bathroom to show her where spit goes, not on the floor, in the toilet... and back to time-out kicking and screaming.
Stubborn? Yeah, just a little bit.
Posted by Bree
1 comment:
Be encouraged Daughter-Mother! Hindsight has revealed to me that indeed progress is being made! "Corporal Punishment" has been phased out gradually over our generations thanks to increasing desire to seek and find Wisdom. Reasoning with God and then our kids has brought us a long way from those Bad Ole Days!
...Still, I chuckle when I see your kids throwing a fit. Not that it's "cute" but I know the end result will be just fine! And it's kinda fun and enlightening to watch you mastering life! xox
Post a Comment